Thursday, April 18, 2013

Been Doin' Some Brewin'!

Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted anything new on here...as mentioned in the previous entry "It's Been a While", having a newborn around doesn't really allow for much free time.  That being said, I took a couple days off for my birthday last week and, miracle of miracles, I BREWED BEER!!

5 Gallons of my newest creation "Psycho Killer (Qu'est Que C'est)" which is, if you haven't guessed, a French-style beer known as a Biere de Garde.  Here's the recipe:

10 lb.    Pilsner Malt (Best Malz)
5 lb.      Maris Otter Pale Malt (Thomas Fawcett)
.5 lb.     Belgian Biscuit Malt
.25 lb.   Crystal Malt I - 45 L (Thomas Fawcett)

1.2 oz.   Strisselspalt Hops @ 75
.7 oz.     Strisselspalt Hops @ 20

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

I mashed at 148*F for 60 minutes and then ran off 8 gallons of pre-boil wort.  Boiled for 75 minutes, adding hops at the noted times.  I boiled this hard and got it down to about 5.5 gallons of finished wort.  Chilled to 65*F, pitched yeast and set it up to ferment. 

Had a good fermentation going within 12 hours with visible airlock activity - had a 1" thick krausen at about 16 hours.  This is starting to wind down now and I will let it sit to clean itself up as I fermented a little on the cool side for the yeast (between 65-70).

This one should be kegged in a couple weeks!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment