Monday, May 17, 2010

Started a couple new meads...

So yesterday morning the mood struck me to start a couple new meads. I started by breaking my scale, so I had to pause to get on Ebay to win a new one (I did)...but after that small delay, I got underway. Here's what I started, and what I will add to them when I rack to secondary:

Mandarin Methomel-
3 pounds Orange Blossom Honey being fermented with Lalvin 71B. In secondary, I will add:
22 oz. Mandarin Orange Segments
1- Star Anise Flower
1- 5" Ceylon Cinnamon Stick
1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger

The Aphrodisiac-
3 pounds Orange Blossom Honey being fermented with Lalvin R-2...I have added the following in primary:
8 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (boosts the chocolate flavor, believe it or not!)
Then when it goes to secondary, it will get the following:
12 - 24 oz. Grade A (Dark Amber) Maple Syrup
1- 5" Ceylon Cinnamon Stick
I may be forgetting something on this one, but will edit if I did!

Odd sounding, I know...but I do like to experiment! The Aphrodisiac smells GREAT (super cholcolaty) as it is fermenting like mad! The Mandarin currently just smells like an OB mead, but that smells good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment